I’m still working on that other project and it looks like it’s going to take a lot longer than I thought. It’s been a case of paint….gesso over it….paint again. The trials and tribulations of an artist!
Meanwhile, I’ve added a few more “Little Debbie’s”, you know….those very affordable paintings under 5×7. “Angel Holding Flowers” is the newest.
I pick up a lot of vintage and unloved smaller frames at estate sales. That’s where most all of the frames used in “Little Debbie’s” are born. With each frame, I attempt to paint something that ‘fits’ that frame. Above, it is a silver (Yes. I know. It looks like gold, but it’s not) metal frame.
I found the vintage frame below at a thrift store. It is a heavy metal frame, made in Italy, from the 1950’s. I loved the frame, but not the color, so I painted it blue. The glass is concave which, in my mind, give it an underwater look. I think the painting of the Mahi Mahi is a perfect fit. This is NOT a Little Debbie, even though you will find it on the Little Debbie page. It is approximately 8×13, unframed. It is on the Little Debbie page because it is only sold framed and there will not be any reprints made. Because of the nature of the glass, this must be picked up and cannot be shipped.
This canvas was garbage. That’s right, it was in the trash. It was a painting of the sun and honestly, not a very good one at that. But it was a huge canvas and if you look up the price of canvas, it was an expensive one. I couldn’t bear the thought of it being crushed in Monday’s trash pick up. So I brought it home.
I used an entire bottle of Gesso covering the previous work. Whomever created it made sunbeams from caulk and the caulk wasn’t coming off. I looked at it for a couple of weeks trying to figure out a new purpose that would incorporate the former sunbeams. My husband said, “Just paint another sun”, but I really didn’t want to do that. So after much deliberating, I decided on a fan. I used moulding paste between the former sunbeams on the inside of the fan and applied it with a palate knife to give it a little texture. I added a background of Naples Yellow and used bright red, brilliant blue and gold on the fan itself. The gold paint was particularly difficult to use. It was thin, less opaque and dried quickly, making the bottom of the fan the most difficult to finish. But finish I did and I have to say I am pleased with the end result.
Now it needs a home. Look above your sofa. If it’s bare, contact me.